Darkreading.com reported “cybercriminals rake in at least $1.5 trillion every year — an amount equal to Russia’s gross domestic product [GDP].” The June 1, 2018 report entitled “Cybercrime Is Skyrocketing as the World Goes Digital” relied on the “research by Dr. Michael McGuire, senior lecturer in criminology at Surrey University and commissioned by security firm Bromium” included these revenue estimates:
- $860 billion from illicit or illegal online markets,
- $500 billion from intellectual property theft,
- $160 billion from data trading,
- $1.6 billion from crimeware-as-a-service, and
- $1 billion from ransomware
My guess is this will only get worse, what do you think?
Leave a Reply