I paste business cards to all new laptops, iPhones, and iPads because maybe somebody will steal the device or I might just lose it, which is likely since Networkworld estimates are “that a laptop is lost every 53 seconds.” The September 10, 2015 Networkworld report is entitled “10 things to do before you lose your laptop” as follows:
- Set up a password with auto-lock.
- Encrypt your hard disk drive.
- Set up all your documents to sync.
- Backup your laptop.
- Switch to a cloud- or server-based email platform.
- Make a note of registration codes for hard-to-find software.
- Encrypt portable HDD, flash storage drives, too.
- Set up additional security.
- Remember to include a ‘please return’ note.
- Set it up for remote tracking, or wiping
My favorite idea is not included in the list, but should be #1.
Leave a Reply